Join with us on our adventure as we build East Alstead's first brewery and what is quite possibly the only off-grid commercial brewery in the United States. We feel that what we brew and how we brew it are equally important. If you would like to help out with this project, contact me at: tim@belgianmare.com.




The Belgian Mare Says Hello!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Lager Update


A bit ago I tried a new idea with my "New England Cream Lager" recipe.  Instead of my old standby, Kent Goldings, I used Chinook hops instead.  We have cracked more than a few and the results are very good.  It is a crisp, full-bodied, refreshing lager with  a strong malt backbone and hop character that starts with a citrus flavor and ends with a strong bitterness. Excellent!

The only downside, is that the lager did not clarify very well and produced curiously large amounts of sediment in the bottle.  But, given the excellent flavor profile, are these really defects?  If it bothers you, close your eyes, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment