Join with us on our adventure as we build East Alstead's first brewery and what is quite possibly the only off-grid commercial brewery in the United States. We feel that what we brew and how we brew it are equally important. If you would like to help out with this project, contact me at: tim@belgianmare.com.




The Belgian Mare Says Hello!

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Making A Bit Of Lager


Today I decided to take a bit of a break from brewery building and brew a beer.  A hard decision, but we are at a part of the construction that is particularly difficult. That, coupled with the fact that I had some help lined up for Thursday, made staying inside and brewing a less guilt-bearing choice.  Besides, I did not spend the whole day inside, I took Banana for two walks.  The woods are getting very thick!

For this brew I decided to experiment.  I guess that it could be said that, like a true artist, I experiment with every brew.  This time, though, I decided to be a bit more controlled.  I duplicated the original recipe for New England Cream Lager but substituted Chinook hops for the original.  I have never used Chinook but, after doing some research, decided to give them a try.   By making the hops the only thing I changed between the two recipes, I should get a pretty good idea of what type of flavor Chinook hops provide, at least in a lager.

I had always considered Chinook hops a hop for the heavy "double IPAs".  I do not know where I acquired that prejudice, but, perhaps, it is the impetus for me using it in a lager.  Maybe it was just my recent hop research.  Either way the deed is done and the results we be reported here, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment