Today we had no rain. Given this, I was eager to get to work on the brewery. However, I first had to take a trip to the sawmill for some boards and a trip to Keene, which would prove to be for nothing. Upon returning, I realized that the day was fading fast. So instead of trying to get finished up with a few of the more detail oriented tasks, i decided to install the last of the big windows (4' x 5') by my self.
I am not sure what got into me, I guess that I just wanted to get it done. So I wrestled with ladder jacks and catwalks for a time. That proved fruitless due to the terrain, so I decided to install the window from the inside. Below the window opening, I put up a ladder that had ladder mitts, in case I had to set the window down on something. Then I removed the sliding pane and hoisted the window into the rough opening. Tilting it a bit, I was able to slide the window out the rough opening and pull it back into place. It was then that I realized my drill/driver was out of reach. So I had to take the window down put the drill/driver in a more appropriate location and do it all over again.
I put in as many screws as possible from the inside. I then ran around the building, climbed the ladder and put in the rest of the screws. I had visions of the window slowly separating from the building and crashing down upon my head. Such was not the case. In the end all went smoothly and the last of the big windows was installed and I did it all by myself.
A further bonus to the day was that I found a relatively inexpensive source for a t least part of the wood fuel we will need for the brewery.
|The last of the big windows. I did it my way...|