Join with us on our adventure as we build East Alstead's first brewery and what is quite possibly the only off-grid commercial brewery in the United States. We feel that what we brew and how we brew it are equally important. If you would like to help out with this project, contact me at: tim@belgianmare.com.




The Belgian Mare Says Hello!

Monday, April 13, 2009

Unemployment, Lager, & Honey Beer

Long I had looked forward to the liberation of unemployment. Unfortunately, it did not long last, for today, my first official day of unemployment; I was offered another job by 2pm. At least I was able to get out and wander about in the woods and feel like I was unemployed before the call came.

Anyway you slice it: No more 3.5 to 4 hr.comutes. That means more time to build the farm and the brewery! Over the past three and a half years I had spent just under 100 days commuting in my car. That is plenty enough.

Lager Update

What a difference a week makes in the beer world. Still unable to leave well enough alone, I tried another of my lagers. Last week the lager was flat and sweet. This week it is well carbonated and quite tasty. As before, it tends toward the more fruity lagers such as Heineken of Steinlager. There is some cideriness, but I think that will pass as it ages. Based on results thus far, I would recommend that anyone who has not tried dry lager yeast to give it a try.

Honey Beer


Believe it or not, I still have a few honey beers left. After nearly four months in the bottle it has matured into a fine libation. The flavor of the dark honey is well blended with the dark malt but remains prominent. Overall it has a definite wine like character. Though not particularly thick, this brew in definitely on the mead side of beer. So forging ahead, heedless of given wisdom and brewing with dark honey when all said it was folly, paid off. Dare to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment