Join with us on our adventure as we build East Alstead's first brewery and what is quite possibly the only off-grid commercial brewery in the United States. We feel that what we brew and how we brew it are equally important. If you would like to help out with this project, contact me at: tim@belgianmare.com.




The Belgian Mare Says Hello!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Lager Test


I realize it has been only a week, but I could not wait to try one of the lagers I bottled last Sunday. As you can see from the photograph, it has yet to drop clear. Further, it has barely carbonated.

Given that lagers, by their nature, must be conditioned for long periods of time, trying one after a week was probably not the best idea. A few months in the cellar should set things straight. Then we will know if this experiment worked or not.

So I guess I really did jump the gun on trying this. The flavor is not bad, but does seem to be a bit sweet. Hopefully this means it has plenty of sugars left to ferment and carbonate itself.

My only concern is that the maple syrup had enough sugar to allow the beer to carbonate. I have not used maple syrup as a primer before, so this is an experiment. Let us hope not a failed one!

To my loyal readers: I will be posting only on Sundays for the near future. As I go through career transition and get the farm going for spring, my time is a bit limited. Thank you all for stopping in to see what I am up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment