Join with us on our adventure as we build East Alstead's first brewery and what is quite possibly the only off-grid commercial brewery in the United States. We feel that what we brew and how we brew it are equally important. If you would like to help out with this project, contact me at: tim@belgianmare.com.




The Belgian Mare Says Hello!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Honey Beer

Greetings, I hope all of you had a happy holiday season. Mine was enjoyable but busy, thus the tardiness of my posting.

Beer experimentation continues. I had never heard of dark honey. While at the hardware and garden store, I saw jars of raw dark honey for sale. Immediately, I thought "This can be used in beer!" I purchased a five pound jar and hurried home. Checking my references, I ascetained that, due to its strong flavor, dark honey is not recommended for use in beer. Just the inspiration I needed!

As I was pressed for time I could not make this an all grain brew. However, I had some cans of light malt extract that had been given to me, along with some crystal malt. I created the wort with 4.5 pounds of extract and half a pound of the crystal malt. I added 2 ounces of Kent hops. Fifteen minutes before the end of the boil I added 3 pounds of the honey. I then added Nottingham dry yeast.

The yeast has been working steadily but not as vigorously as dry yeast often does. My house is a bit cold this time of year so the temperature of the fermenter has been hovering around 53 degrees F. The fermentation has been going for about 8 days.

What will be come of this brew: A cold fermented honey ale? I am already dreaming.....

No comments:

Post a Comment